Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Theatre: "The Little Dog Laughed"

I'm becoming a bit hard to please when it comes to theatre. I saw the Downstage production of The Little Dog Laughed.

The Little Dog Laughed

This American play by Douglas Carter Beane had a very successful run on Broadway in 2006, receiving critical acclaim and a number of awards, including GLAADs and Tonys. Yet, I found it a bit predictable, with characters who resembled more stereotypes than people, especially the female ones.

I suppose it says something still relevant about appearances and the power/necessity of the closet in the American film industry, but it seemed a little dated from New Zealand.

It was a good production, with a talented cast, even if I found they were directed to act a little too broadly at times. I liked the set, with giant HOLLYWOOD letter all scattered around the stage that became various props during the action. Especially beautiful the use of the two Ls that united to become the bed where love and lust met, allowing the male lovers to almost connect, for a while.

One line I remember, because it reflects my thoughts on the so-called "bravery" of straight actors playing gay roles: "If a perceived straight actor portrays a gay role in a feature film, it's noble, it's a stretch. It's the pretty lady putting on a fake nose and winning an Oscar. If a gay actor does it, he's bragging."

No comments: